Many of problems come from a faulty or inadequate compressed air supply system. Before attempting to repair the tool, the following points should be checked:
- check the pressure at the output of the compressor; adjust to recommended air pressure
- check the tank pressure of the compressor & adjust the start/stop limits (refer to the compressor Operation Manual)
- check the air delivery system, use a hose of at least 3/8"
- use fewer tools simultaneously; do not exceed the capacity of the compressor or of the delivery system
- drain water from the compressor
Use this applet to check that your compressor and air delivery are adequate for your installation.
The compressed air pressure required varies with tool model, wood specie, board thickness, subflooring and fastener type, length & gage.
Use only the air pressure that is required to properly countersink all nails or staples. The use of higher air pressure will increase tongue fracture and dimple effect. Exotic species, dark varnishes and/or hi-gloss finishes are particularly sensitive to over-pressuring tool.